6.12.2011

This is a city?

Since September of last year we have called Tehuacana, Texas home. "How did we wind up here?", you ask. Well, my husband, due to the lack of teaching jobs available in Houston procured a position in Mexia. Mexia being the city five miles down the street. Moving here has been literally a night and day change from what I and my family were used to coming from Houston. From suburb to rural life, you don't know the convenience of living in close proximity to places like a grocery store until you have to drive ten miles to get milk or diapers. Let's just say it has been an experience, to say the least.

This brings me to the point of this blog. Being that I am so far our in "the sticks"  I had to get creative with my field study. I thought an oral history would be perfect for my situation. Nearly as soon as we moved in, I was bombarded by historical information from my neighbors. Telling me everything from who is who in the town, how it was almost the capital, how much they used to own, and how wonderful small town life is. It was quite a bit to absorb. Over the past months, I have explored the town when I have the time, come to some of my own conclusions about small town life, and this field study is a great excuse to find out even more about this small cast aside city.