6.13.2011

Porch Chats

Talked to Deborah East and Kerrie for awhile outside today. Deborah told me a little about their garden. This isn't a small backyard garden, it has to be at least a quarter of an acre. I asked how many years they have done a garden. Kerrie said every year since she can remember and before that. They save money not having to get any produce commercially. Kerrie cans vegetables frequently and they both agreed they prefer fresh produce straight from the garden.  Kerrie regularly gives me fresh salsa and picked vegetables. I've got a decent collection of mason jars from her. ( I should probably return those. Maybe she will take that as a hint that we liked all of it.) About two weeks ago she came to my door with a white 5 gallon bucket and said, "You like zucchini squash?!" Well it happens to be my favorite so I said, "DEFINITELY!". She pulled out four of the largest squash I've ever seen. I wish I took a picture. I will probably go and take some tomorrow of the garden and see about getting more squash. In addition to the squash, they have broccoli, collard greens, cabbage, potatoes, tomatoes, beans, radish, peppers, plum trees, peach trees, kumquats, cherry trees, and grape vines!!! it's pretty neat.
I asked Deborah for Mr. Parker's information. He is the man who lives inside Old Trinity University. Yes! Inside the building for the summer. He is a professor during the year and comes back over the summers. That is all I know about him, but I will be calling to see if we can go look inside the college, take pictures, and get more information about anything and everything he probably knows about the building and its' history. That should be exciting. I will Have a post about that tomorrow.