6.12.2011

Out of place...and it has to be haunted!

Trinity University
Well the first thing I noticed when I moved in, after poking around the ghost town is the old, empty, haunted looking university. I got the full run down on the establishment, being that my neighbor is friends with the owner, or grounds keeper? I'm not entirely clear on which.  From the pictures you can see it is a historical site. The pictures in no way do this amazing building justice. It is more eerie than anything I've ever seen, Supposedly the man who watches and keeps up the property lives in another state and is a professor at some college. During the summer he returns to Tehuacana and works on restoration projects. I've been told I can go look inside when he is here. I'm looking forward to that. Kerrie (my neighbor & the daughter of my landlord who lives across from us) told me that Trinity College was supported and instituted by a church after John Boyd granted the University land from the Mexican land grant he had. A year or so before the University called Tehuacana home, John Boyd nominated Tehuacana as the capital of Texas. Obviously we know that didn't go it's way.  That was in 1850.... but from my experience it is their claim to fame. 
In all of these very interesting chats I've had with my neighbors one thing I notice is the pronunciation of Tehuacana. I don't quite know how to bring it up without sounding pompous, like I'm questioning that they can read correctly.  Tehuacana, I say Te-wah-can-uh. The locals say Te-wah-ka-knee. Now through research I have done on my own, I know that the city and local landmarks are named for the Tawakoni indians. I can see exactly how that is pronounced, Ta-wa-koni.... the way the locals say Tehuacana. I just don't see how the two are pronounced the same. I guess it will be something I just need to ask. I'll post about it another time. Most of this I knew from talking to Kerrie months ago, but it was all rehashed in detail this weekend during an extensive conversation on her porch (because that is how it's done around here) while the kids were playing outside.